The term marketing is overused and misused. So, WHAT IS MARKETING?
The rapid expansion of social media and online marketing is morphing the old definitions of marketing. New definitions are emerging. And wrapping your arms around what marketing is to look like in your business is more complex today than ever.
What’s your definition?
Do this simple exercise. Before you read the definitions below, write down a short definition of what you imagine marketing should look like in your business. Now, compare your definition to those you read below.
6 Timeless Marketing Definitions:
1. PETER F. DRUCKER: The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.
2. SETH GODIN: Marketing isn’t advertising; marketing is the product we make, the service we offer, and the life we live. And so the question as you go forward is, will you choose this ethical marketing that doesn’t involve yelling at people, networking your way to the top, spamming people and lying. Right. But instead it involves weaving a story and weaving a tribe, and weaving a network that means something.
3. JAY CONRAD LEVINSON: Marketing is every bit of contact your company has with anyone in the outside world. Every bit of contact. That means a lot of marketing opportunities. It doesn’t mean investing a lot of money.
4. ELIZABETH CARTER: Marketing is art, science and sport all rolled into one. It’s creative, inspiring and original, like art. It’s a science; using formulas, measurements, and tests. And like any sport, it involves competition, strategy, practice and skill.
5. JOHN JANTSCH: Marketing is not about making the phone ring. Marketing is about guiding the complete end to end journey the customer wants to go on, and that’s the element of context you have to be thinking about when it comes to social media.
6. HENRY, PETER W. REED, and MARK PATTON: Activities directed towards identifying and satisfying customer needs and wants through a process of exchange. (Marketing: Principles & Strategy – textbook)
Are you having trouble marketing your business. Contact me, I can help.
Find out more about marketing! Hub Spot, one of the industries’ largest providers of inbound marketing and sales software has a massive online Marketing Library Resources. They provide free videos, eBooks and articles, giving away large amounts of valuable information. Of course they want you to buy their product, but they are also very generous about giving away free information. I’d recommend a search through their library!
What’s your best definition of small business marketing ? Let me know in the comments below.